How to Become a Substitute Teacher
The following items are required and can be worked on simultaneously:
- Alabama Substitute license
- Background and Fingerprint check
- Kelly Services registration and orientation
Alabama Substitute License can be picked up at the Board of Education or downloaded at https://www.guntersvilleboe.com/domain/40
A non-refundable payment of $30 is required. Payment must be made via cashier’s check or money order or paid online (a $4 transaction fee is applied).
- Your application and payment or copy of the online paid receipt must accompany your application.
- Proof of citizenship must also accompany your application. (see application)
- Applications must be signed by the Superintendent and will be mailed with your payment from the Board of Education.
- License turnaround is normally 2-3 weeks.
- The background check and fingerprints must be on file before the State will issue a license.
Fingerprint and background check is done at any Gemalto location.
- For a list of locations, visit https://www.aps.gemalto.com/.
- The closest location is Albertville Board of Education, located at 107 West Main Street, Albertville.
- By appointment only. Call 256-891-1183 to make an appointment. Walk-ins will not be taken. Prior to your arrival, you must register with Gemalto. This is done at the above website.
- You must bring your Gemalto registration number and a valid Driver’s License on the day of your appointment.
- Background/Fingerprint usually takes 2-3 weeks.
- Appointments can be two weeks out, so go ahead and get an appointment for this part of the process.
- Email Johnny Deaton with Kelly Services firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit www.kellyjobs.com, search for jobs in Guntersville, AL, choose substitute for Guntersville City Schools, and complete the online application.